Where you lead, Lord, I will follow. As most of you know, He currently has me in Padova, Italy. I am on a MAPS missions assignment through Assemblies of God World Missions. Here are some reflections of my experiences here in Padova. Thank you, my dear friends and family, for your prayers and support. All praise, honor, and glory are to Your name, Lord. I am forever grateful for Your grace and love.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Giving thanks with a grateful heart...

These past few weeks have been a whilrwind. I've hardly had time to get any sleep, let alone keep up with my blog! Sorry I'm behind! I've had the usual tasks of cleaning the church, preparing for the after-school program and teaching the kids on Wednesday through Friday afternoons, helping with the kids or youth group on Friday evenings during our Breaking the Barriers service. Plus we've had lots of extra excitement and activity around here lately with all the A/G missionaries being here in Padova for the week of Thanksgiving. We had meetings, prayer, worship, great times of fellowship, and a huge meal on Thanksgiving Day. What a joy to be able to celebrate with other Americans in Italy, where Thanksgiving isn't exactly one of their national holidays! I had the privilege of meeting all of our missionaries serving here in Italy...Terry & Marsha Peretti, Mike & Loretta Hopkins(Loretta was in the States), Harvey & Maria Skinner, Warren & Laura Van Dolsen, Bob & Lynne Rose, Rick & Angela Forker, Randy & Diane McGehee, and of course Steve & Patti Gray and Kurtis & Amy Denton who I've gotten to know here in Padova. We also were blessed to have Bob & Denise Ryals, who are missionaries to Spain and Assistant Area Directors for the Southern Europe area.
It was wonderful to meet these missionaries, hear their testimonies, and get to spend some time with them.  The missionaries said it was monumental to have everyone there together at one time (except we missed having Loretta there).
I joined some of the missionaries on a little excursion to Villa Pisani, a huge villa outside of Padova. This is the view from the front...I couldn't even capture it all.

Beautiful marble

View from rear of the villa...we weren't exactly sure what that building is in the distance.

The rear view of the villa

Some trails on the grounds

They even had a maze!

This was very interesting...I think they called this an ice house. See how it's up on a hill? I was told they would haul snow in and pack it underneath this building...

I took this picture though the window...the snow would cool what was stored in here though the vent and floor.

This is underneath the building...

They would bring the snow in and pack it in here...

There was a little "moat"/stream around the building where the water drained from the snow melting. Amazing idea, right?!

The garden

Rows of trees growing...

in these greenhouse type buildings

We then had lunch...thought I would take a picture of my pizza before I devoured it! I ended up taking some home...delicious! This is usually how it comes to you, hanging off the plate like that :)
We then stopped at a "bar" (coffee shop). Isn't this quaint? They have an outside seating area, complete with blankets on the chairs for the comfort of their guests.

This was my hot chocolate...thicker than we're used to in the U.S. And richly delicious!

Here I am preparing my contribution to our Thanksgiving dinner...my grandma's Sweet Potato Casserole. I'm still getting used to using our fancy little hand blender.

The finished masterpiece! Pecan topping made with Texas pecans (thanks, Trish!) We can't get pecans here in Italy.  
I was a little skeptical of how it would turn out due to the different ingredients and ovens here, but it was a success! None leftover!  


So many reminders of home :)

The dessert table!


Our turkey

The day after Thanksgiving I went on another adventure with some of the missionaries to Nove, Italy. We visitied a ceramic factory, where lots of beautiful dishes are made...some of which are the Italian line for Tiffany & Co, Williams & Sonoma, Lenox, etc...It was neat to see these gorgeous dishes in such a humble setting. Nothing fancy about how they are displayed here...they are crafted downstairs, brought upstairs and placed on simple wooden shelves. Most of the pieces don't have price tags on them...you inquire about the cost from the workers. They have these stock carts you can take around with you to place your desired items on. They have numerous advertisements around the "store" from magazines or catalogues showing the price you would pay for that piece in America. Quite the difference!

What a week! It was very busy, but such a special time of fellowship with the missionaries. What truly amazing people. I will continue to pray for them and their ministries here in Italy even after I head back to the States. It was such an honor to meet them, listen to their wisdom, and learn from them. I was blessed!

"Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father
in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"
Ephesians 5:20

4 comments:

  1. I am missing you, Sarah!!! I love this post! The pictures of the ice house are so interesting. Love that! Thanks for sharing your special mission with us.
    I love you so!!!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that someone is looking at these posts! :) I miss you too!! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, neat! I have 3 stacking cake platters from Williams Sonoma & they're stamped "Made in Italy" on the bottom! Maybe they were made were you were :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe so, Jill! How cool that would be! :)

    ReplyDelete