Where you lead, Lord, I will follow. As most of you know, He currently has me in Padova, Italy. I am on a MAPS missions assignment through Assemblies of God World Missions. Here are some reflections of my experiences here in Padova. Thank you, my dear friends and family, for your prayers and support. All praise, honor, and glory are to Your name, Lord. I am forever grateful for Your grace and love.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Venice!

Last Monday, Maira, another girl here named Vana, myself, Joel, & Melody took a little trip to Venice. It still seems a bit unreal that I live only about 30 minutes away from such a tourist hotspot. I didn't even really know what to expect. I have heard so many things from people who have been to Italy, but it's been an entirely different experience for me...actually living and "working" here. It was a gorgeous day in Venice...we couldn't have asked for better weather--thank You, Lord! Sunshine, no rain, beautiful! I must say, Venice is one of the most unique places I have ever been. I guess I thought there would be one main canal with buildings along it. I had no idea there were canals going throughout all the buildings...utterly amazing. To watch people step out their back door into their boat, to have gone the entire day without hearing a car or even seeing many bicycles, to see clothes out to dry...over the water! It really was a very enjoyable day. We took in some sights, stopped into a few shops, and took some time to just chat and relax by the water. Thank you, Lord, for a beautiful day, wonderful friends, and for this opportunity we've been given to get to know and fellowship with one another.
"Many, O LORD my God, are Your wonderful works which You have done!"
Psalm 40:5
Here are Joel & Melody, a lovely American couple who are here helping at ICF until the beginning of December. It has been such a blessing to get to know them and serve with them.

This is the tower where Galileo studied and made various discoveries

Boats in their "backyard"

You see all the clothes hanging out on the lines...over the water!


I visited the first ghetto...and learned "ghetto" actually had a different meaning then than how I've heard it used. Ghettos were where the Jews were forced to live.

Here in this first ghetto, they now have plaques remembering the horrors of the Holocaust and the many Jews who were persecuted and killed.

Hopefully you can read the English on the sign:
Men, women, children, masses for the gas chambers
Advancing toward horror beneath the whip of the executioner
Your sad Holocaust is engraved in history
And nothing shall purge your deaths from our memories
For our memories are your only grave

The city of Venice remembers the Venetian Jews who were deported to the Nazi concentration camps on December 5th, 1943 and August 17th, 1944.

It's hard to believe there are people who say this never happened. It's very real seeing the reminders here.

"Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved."
Romans 10:1

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! Did you go up in the tower? Luke and I did. It as awesome! Isn't it amazing? Didn't see the stuff about the ghetto. Wow! That is amazing!
    Love your blog!!! Love you! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't go up in the tower in Venice. We did in Verona though. I don't have my Verona post on here yet. It was wonderful! I love you too, dear Cheri!

    ReplyDelete